Food Service Specialist Substitute - IDEA Rio Grande City (Immediate Opening)
Company: IDEA Public Schools
Location: Rio Grande City
Posted on: April 3, 2021
Position at IDEA Public Schools
About IDEA Public Schools :
At IDEA Public Schools, we believe in college for ALL and we are
committed to ensuring that all our students graduate from college.
IDEA Public Schools has grown from a small school to the
fastest-growing network of tuition-free Pre-K-12 public charter
schools in the United States sending 100% of our students to
college. 50% of our students graduate from college in 6 years -
that's 8 times the national rate for students in our
IDEA was founded in 2000 as a single school with 150 students in
the Rio Grande Valley. When interest exceeded building capacity, to
meet the demands, IDEA's co-founders committed to serving more
students in the Rio Grande Valley of Texas and beyond. We now serve
over 65,000 students across Texas and Louisiana. Be on the lookout
for IDEA schools opening near you-with continued growth in our
current regions an d new launches in Tampa Bay , FL (2021) , and
Jacksonville, FL (2022) !
When you choose to work at IDEA, you are part of our IDEA Team and
Family. You will work alongside team members who set and reach
ambitious goals every day, are excited to continue to grow with
IDEA, and work relentlessly to make college for all a reality.
To learn more about IDEA, check out this .
About the Rio Grande Valley:
Since 2000, IDEA Public Schools has grown from a school of 150
students in Donna, TX, to the fastest- growing family of
tuition-free, public charter schools in the United States. In the
Rio Grande Valley, we are a nucleus of four counties (Cameron,
Hidalgo, Starr and Willacy Counties) that work as one unit to
support our children academically and holistically.
RGV is home to a population of just over 1.3 million residents.
Children across the region truly benefit from IDEA's mission of
college for all, as only 1 out of 17 students currently graduate
college ready. Our mission holds true as we have over 5,000 IDEA
alumni that currently attend, or have graduated from, 300 colleges
and universities across the country.
Join our passionate team of changemakers in south Texas as we
prepare to expand our home region to 55 schools, serving over
38,000 students in 2022.
Role Mission: The Food Service Specialist Substitute is available,
as needed, to substitute for campus Food Service Specialists (FSS)
incase they are absent or fail to show up for their scheduled
shift. They ensure that appropriate quantities of food are
prepared, portioned, and served to IDEA students. Other
responsibilities include but are not limitedto:cutting/chopping
fruits & vegetables, following recipes, adhering to established
kitchen processes, monitoring of students during meal periods
(i.e.monitoring for appropriate behavior, encouraging students to
consume more fresh fruits & vegetables, no sharing of food, etc.)
and kitchen cleaning duties (sweeping, mopping, wiping tables,
washing dishes, disposing of trash).
- Possess an interest or passion for working with food
- Has a basicknowledge or canquickly learn of food
- It all in one job-cooking, cleaning, restocking and resetting
the kitchen for next day
- Can meet the physicaldemands of the job
- Has a basic knowledge of providing service to our customers
- Understand how to read and execute recipes
- Must be able to handle working withmedium tolarge equipment
(i.e.ovens, slicer, steamer, etc.)
- Have basic math skills that directly relate to portioningfood
items in small trays
- Takes pride in food that is prepared and served to the
- Can take direction and feedbackwell
- Things can change fast,must be able to adapt quickly inbeing
switched from serving food to washing dishes
- Can take feedback well, especially during mid-year and end of
- Can self-reflect and be honest with own performance, desire to
correct mistakes quickly
- Can work around or with an academic calendar
- Extended periods of time where there is not work (i.e.Spring
Break, Summer Break, Thanksgiving Break, Winter Break)
- During regular school days, 8 hours per day. Some overtime
- Depending on the campus, may need to work on Saturdays
- We look for Team and Family who embody the following values and
- Believes and is committed to our mission and being an agent of
change: that all studentsare capable of gettingto and through
- Has demonstrated effective outcomes and results, and wants to
be held accountable for them
- Has a propensity for action, willing to make mistakes by doing
in order to learn and improvequickly
- Works with urgency and purpose to drive student outcomes
- Thrives in an entrepreneurial, high-growth environment; is
comfortable with ambiguity and change
- Seeks and responds well to feedback, which is shared often and
freely across all levels of the organization
- Works through silos and forges strong cross-departmental
relationships in order to achieve outcomes
- We believe in education as a profession and hold ourselves to
high level of conduct, professionalism and behaviors as models for
our colleagues and students. Qualifications:
- High school diploma preferred, but not required
- Food service or restaurant experience preferred, but not
- Food Handler's Permit (City of County) preferred, but not
Knowledge and Skills:
- Ability to understand food recipes, safe handling of food
- Working knowledge of kitchen/food production procedures.
- Ability to operate kitchen equipment, tools, and utensils.
- Ability to perform basic math skill.
- Works well under pressure in a team setting.
- Ability to lift, bend, pull, push, twist.
- Salaries for this role typically fall between $11.50-$13.25,
commensurate with relevant experience and qualifications. This role
is also eligible for a performance bonus based on individual and
organizational performance and goal attainment.
IDEA Public Schools does not discriminate on the basis of race,
color, national origin, age, sex or disability, in admission or
access to, or treatment of employment in its programs and
activities. Any person having inquiries concerning the
organization's compliance with the regulations implementing Title
VI of Civil Rights Act of 1964 (Title VI), Section 504 of the
Rehabilitation Act of 1973 (Section 504), or Title II of the
Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990 (ADA), may contact IDEA
Human Resources at (956) 377-8000.
Keywords: IDEA Public Schools, Mission , Food Service Specialist Substitute - IDEA Rio Grande City (Immediate Opening), Hospitality & Tourism , Rio Grande City, Texas
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!